Just a quick hello.

The social chat group. The place for the completely off-topic stuff - general chit-chat, things like that - No music here!

Moderator: GORDON

Macca

Just a quick hello.

Postby Macca » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:29 pm

I've been looking for the introductions section but there does not appear to be one so I thought I'd say hello here.

I'm pretty much a beginner player & practice on both acoustic and electric. Whilst having a pretty broad spectrum of musical taste my main interest is with blues, rock-blues & classic rock.

I'm awaiting the arrival of Gordon's 6 string Vintage electro-acoustic. It was ordered before Christmas so it is a long wait, so I'm just hoping when it arrives I get on with it and it does not get returned.

I've been tempted to purchase it by all the good reviews & feedback but as we all know a guitar is quite personal so here is hoping I'll find it to be 'that one'.

As I've never played one I'm also keeping my fingers crossed it will be suitable for the type of music I enjoy (trying) to play.

Mike Stranks

Postby Mike Stranks » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:39 am

Hi Macca and welcome! :)

We're a happy crowd here and you'll not encounter the 'edginess' and bickering prevalent on some other forums.

Keep us posted on progress with the playing.

Best wishes. Mike
The older I get, the better I used to be

fingerlock

Postby fingerlock » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:23 pm

Hi Macca

I have only been playing for a few years, the secret is practice (often)

I was lucky enough to play the gg model and its a beaut, you will love it!

Macca

Re: Just a quick hello.

Postby Macca » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:53 pm

Just thought I'd post a quick update.

Unfortunately I cancelled my order for this guitar. I'd originally placed the order on 22/12/10 only to be told on numerous occasions by both John Hornby Skewes (distributor) & the online store I ordered from that there were various reasons for delay upon delay.

Then when a supply eventually arrived in the UK the store I had my order placed with received no stock.

It's a shame as I was really excited about this guitar after reading all the reviews that my experience was soured by a lack of good customer service. I may still buy one in the future but for now I'm afraid Gordon's guitar has passed me by.

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:19 pm

Hi Macca.

If there is any way I can help do let me know.

The demand has indeed been great and I fully understand your frustration at the long wait. If you care to give me your contact detail via my PRIVATE MESSAGE section I shall get JHS on the case. I'm sure we can sort something, and if not.... deep appologies sir.

Be Well.

G.

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:06 pm

Dear Macca.

I have spoken with JHS about your guitar. IF you do change your mind about getting one, may I point you in the direction of Ivor Mairants in London. The company own the shop, and they will certainly look after you. At the moment they are awaiting the 6 string model. They have a couple of 12 strings in stock. Ring Mac or Glen on 0207 6361481.

Hope you appreciate that I have personally tried my best to sort this for you sir.

Be Well.

G.

Macca

Postby Macca » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:09 pm

Gordon,

Thank you very much for taking the time to address the issue. There are not many performers that would take time to help in this day and age. I had read your post last night & was going to reply to you by PM today.

I'm often in Sutton Coldfield & if I happen to bump in to you please let me take the opportunity to buy you a drink.

I really do appreciate your help. I now have to speak very nicely with my other half as the cash I originally had allotted for the GG Signature was spent elsewhere. GAS it's a dreaded affliction :shock: :D

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:05 pm

Hello Sir.

Well, at this point in time they are as you know awaiting stocks of the 6 string, so hopefully it will give you time to save up!

I'm certain if you ring Maraints and mention our communication they will set one aside for you. Any probs let me know and I can pass your full name on them.

Have a nice weekend.

Be Well and greetings from SC.

G.

Macca

Postby Macca » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:25 pm

I never did purchase the VE2000GG. However low & behold whilst browsing the net yesterday I discovered that JHS manufactured an acoustic model of the guitar.

There are no reviews of this model to my knowledge. So I ordered one on the faith of all the great reviews for the two electro-acoustic models. Well it arrived today.

First Impressions

It is a nicely made guitar, with a lovely warm mahogany colour. It has a nice feel to it & it seems set up well. Although I'll probably pop it into Trevor at PMT to see if it needs any slight adjustments. I've obviously had no time with it yet but first impressions are that it will play as nicely as Gordon says.

I sold my previous acoustic a few months ago. I'm glad I did or I'd not have replaced it & I'm happy that I have replaced it with this guitar.

I'm not a guitar aficionado but if I'd been asked to guess the cost of this guitar I'd certainly have priced it above the price paid. As soon as I opened the case & took the guitar out I just knew it was going to be a keeper.

You'll just have to invite me over for a guitar lesson now Gordon :wink: :D and real make my day.

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:06 pm

Hey Macca.

Well done for taking a gamble and getting that guitar. I used my mahogany GG for a rehearsal with Troy Donockley recently and it sounded great, and Troy remarked that it was a serious guitar!

Once our Trev has set it up it will play like a dream. Trev is the boss when it comes to setting up guitars for super low action. Give him my regards when you see him, and tell him I'm long overdue a visit. He's a great guy, and it's a great shop.

CONGRATULATIONS on your new guitar sir.

Be Well.

G.

Macca

Postby Macca » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:05 pm

GORDON wrote:Hey Macca.

Well done for taking a gamble and getting that guitar. I used my mahogany GG for a rehearsal with Troy Donockley recently and it sounded great, and Troy remarked that it was a serious guitar!

Once our Trev has set it up it will play like a dream. Trev is the boss when it comes to setting up guitars for super low action. Give him my regards when you see him, and tell him I'm long overdue a visit. He's a great guy, and it's a great shop.

CONGRATULATIONS on your new guitar sir.

Be Well.

G.

Many thanks, I hope I do it justice eventually :)

Macca

Postby Macca » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:37 am

I've not taken my guitar to Trevor for a set up. Having played it I don't think (?) it needs setting up. I may be wrong, but the set up whilst a little high (I've only really played electric), seems fine. Barre chords are much more difficult but coming along etc.

My main concern from reading all the information on the internet is how to look after the guitar?

I'm totally confused about care & humidity, should I slacken off the strings if I do not play the guitar for a few days?

Should I purchase a humidifier/dehumidifier & place it in the case with the guitar. Or leave the guitar on its stand etc, etc?

Any advice would be most gratefully appreciated.

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:31 pm

Hi Macca.

I'm sure the guitar will be fine on a stand. Just be sensible and keep away from extreme heat or cold. Don't leave it in front of a radiator for example! I'm assuming that you don't have a damp house!

Because of the matt finish it won't show up finger marks. Just keep it clean in the usual way. Lemon oil on the fingerboard every so often will stop the wood from drying out, it will also clean the fingerboard.Make sure you remove any traces of the oil with a clean rag. The best time to do this of course is when your ready for a string change! Please forgive me if I'm stating the obvious here sir!

Glad you're happy with it as it is sir.

Enjoy it for many years to come.

I'm sure that anyone reading this fancy's adding anything to what I have already written are more than welcome to!

Be Well sir.

G.

Macca

Postby Macca » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:30 pm

Once again Gordon, many thanks for your help & prompt response.

Just one other thing what string gauge is on the guitar & do you have a preference on make. I have always used D'Addario on my electrics.

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:20 pm

I use 11 gauge Martin SP sets,they last for ages and sound great on most guitars.

Best of Regards.

G.

Return to “General Chat”