The PA system must get through!

The social chat group. The place for the completely off-topic stuff - general chit-chat, things like that - No music here!

Moderator: GORDON

Mike Stranks

The PA system must get through!

Postby Mike Stranks » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:28 pm

Taking some PA gear to our local church to augment their sound system for tomorrow's nativity:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25083003@N ... 624601070/

Snow? Pah!

Mike :D
The older I get, the better I used to be

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:35 pm

You mind the roads do ya hear?

Have a great Christmas my sound supremo friend.

G.

Sue
Site Admin

Postby Sue » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:52 pm

At least that looks like fun Mike, unlike our experience yesterday !

Mike dropped me at work at 1.15pm just as it began to snow. Within 20mins Canterbury had 4inches of snow and complete white out - the entire city was gridlocked. I was told at 2.00pm that I could go home and Mike eventually managed to get back to the Uni - he'd only got half a mile.

The whole of the dual carriageway ringroad was at a standstill as we watched out of the windows and wondered if we should even attempt to head home ( 20 miles away ) We waited until traffic outside the Uni was finally slipping, sliding and moving a little at 7.20pm, albeit only crawling. It was pointless leaving earlier - we watched cars move a few feet in an hour.

When we finally decided to set off it still took us 2 hours to get just over a mile by which time we realised we couldn't get through Sturry, the road was completely blocked in both directions. The traffic queue was only moving at all as people arrived at the last roundabout and some turned back. They said on the radio later that people had been stuck on a bus there for 5hrs, in their cars in another part of the city for 6hrs and we heard verbal reports of 8 cars on their roofs on the hill out of Sturry and jack knifed lorries in numerous places. The other main way out of the city towards the M2 was a solid 12 mile jam.

We turn round and drove back into the centre intending to sleep at the Library if we had to ( the security men had said they would let us back in ) but decided to give it one last try to get home the long way via the A257 to Sandwich - a hilly, country route.

Residents standing all the way up the first long hill with shovels told us they had been there since 11am clearing a path up the very steep hill out of the city because of the ice and then later the snow and controlling traffic flow by mobile phone contact ( no police in sight any where in the city, gritter lorry ? snow plough ? what are they ???) and once up to the top we were able to make our way slowly home along pitch black country roads like a skating rink. It was gone 10.45pm when we got home, almost 9 hours after being sent home and 3 1/2 hrs since setting off for a 35min journey !

I hope none of you can beat that !!

Sue
GG webmaster

Jon G

Postby Jon G » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:36 pm

I was due to play and sing at our church carol service this evening, but a after a trial run in the Mini it took me five goes before I (barely) made it back up the hill to our isolated house. Clearly a no-no in the dark with the family aboard.

Nevertheless, decided the show must go on, and resolved to walk 3 miles across country to the gig... fortunately someone's phoned to say it's cancelled. Now I'm forced to stay inside by the fire.
Nothing can possibly go wrong...

Trevor Raggatt

Mike, just one question...

Postby Trevor Raggatt » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:33 pm

Mike, just one question... If that's the size of your ski-poles just how big were the skis?

Dedication that. The snow (erm, I mean show) must go on. Our church Christmas services were all snowed off as the venue we use decided that it was too treacherous, closed and cancelled all bookings. Shame, as I was looking forward to playing bass for the morning service.

Mike Stranks

Postby Mike Stranks » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:08 am

... and a brief follow-up...

All went well - apart from a bit of envy about why Gabriel got to wear a 'Kylie' headset mic when the others didn't! :)

... and a word to the wise... never buy batteries intended for radio mics from the 'Pound Shop'! :lol:

Merry Christmas! :D
The older I get, the better I used to be

Return to “General Chat”