Sir Terry Wogan

The social chat group. The place for the completely off-topic stuff - general chit-chat, things like that - No music here!

Moderator: GORDON

Tom McCauley

Sir Terry Wogan

Postby Tom McCauley » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:26 am

I've just heard the sad news of the passing of Sir Terry Wogan who has died at the age of 77 following a short illness. Thoughts go out to his family at this sad time. He was surrounded by his family.

I say "God Bless you Sir Terry, we all salute you!"

*Links for his 'Floral Dance' song can be found in the 6th post.*
Last edited by Tom McCauley on Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tom McCauley

BRC

Re: Sir Terry Wogan

Postby BRC » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:24 pm

Also very sad to learn of the passing of someone who provided a background to our growing up lives, and sorely missed from the morning radio.

I can remember getting ready for work listening to early morning Wogan, preceded by the the late Ray Moore, and that gave a boost to the start of the day. The humour - mostly irreverent - hit the mark in just the right way to make feeling getting up early to go to work was worthwhile (the 'getting up' early bit anyway). Those days are sadly gone though remembered with a lot of affection.

Perhaps the aging process does treasure nostalgia more than is healthy for us as really we should be looking to the future and to how we can make this work better for the future generations. The modern entertainment world seems preoccupied with instant fame and fortune far more than quality production that it is hard not to hanker after those 'better' times.

Here's hoping that some of the up-and-coming radio presenters/DJs learn something from the presentation skills of Sir Terry Wogan and remember it is about the audience and they are contributors to that, not self indulgent 'stars'.

Rest In Peace Sir Terry

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:33 pm

I have put postings on Twitter and Facebook and now on my very own website.

Sir Terry was a national treasure and a nice man.I have fond memories of drinking with him in the BBC after we shared an appearance in 77 on TOP OF THE POPS.

He with Floral Dance and I with HEARTSONG.

He was so easy going and unaffected by it all.A great example to us all methinks

This year has been tragic with so many gifted people leaving us far too early.

Rest in peace Sir Terry you will truly be missed by us all.

steve

Postby steve » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:04 pm

I'm very sorry to hear about Sir Terry's passing. Similar to the comments already made, I also treasure my memories of the early morning drives to work listening to Terry on Radio 2. I greatly miss his wit, wisdom and bittersweet sense of irony. He gave a voice to a lot of thoughts many of us were thinking, often quite critical of those in charge of our lives and yet whilst undoubtedly perceptive it was always delivered in a totally harmless, humourous and playful way. I can't think of anyone else today quite the same on national radio. Some DJ's try too hard to achieve what I feel Terry Wogan did quite naturally. He even made watching Eurovision fun. I can't say that anymore!

RIP. Our thoughts go out to his family and friends at this sad time.
Mirrors should think longer before they reflect ~ Jean Cocteau

Tom McCauley

Postby Tom McCauley » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:02 pm

Yesterday and today, the rest of the presenters of Radio 2 shared their own tributes to him and I believe a special edition of the One Show is being broadcast tonight at 7pm on BBC 1 in his memory.
Tom McCauley

Tom McCauley

Postby Tom McCauley » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:41 pm

Here's a song he did: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3Y4HufJ1oE - The Floral Dance
Here's the 1977 TOTP version of Floral Dance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElnCI1fkfFM
Here's the lyrics version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tqLcaCqPbQ
Last edited by Tom McCauley on Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tom McCauley

Tom McCauley

Postby Tom McCauley » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:33 am

What I remember of him was when he did his 'Breakfast Show' (which Chris Evans has now took over) on Radio 2 and his appearances on 'Children in Need'. I also remember he used to do 'Blankety Blank' (consolation prize... a 'Blankety Blank' cheque book and pen.)
Tom McCauley

Tom McCauley

Postby Tom McCauley » Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:42 pm

His funeral will be taking place next week which has been confirmed by the BBC. More details can be found at: http://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment/ ... spartanntp
Tom McCauley

Tom McCauley

Postby Tom McCauley » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:13 am

1 year already....
Tom McCauley

Tom McCauley

Postby Tom McCauley » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:56 am

Today would of been his 80th birthday. Happy birthday and RIP to the legend that is Sir Terry.
Tom McCauley

Return to “General Chat”