Wojtek the Soldier Bear

The social chat group. The place for the completely off-topic stuff - general chit-chat, things like that - No music here!

Moderator: GORDON

piotrwargan

Wojtek the Soldier Bear

Postby piotrwargan » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:02 am

The story that goes back to WW2: Polish soldiers from the 2nd Polish Corps (part of the British 8th Army) adopt an orphaned bear cub, who becomes their great friend... A story close to my heart, as my relatives served in this unit.

The monument to commemorate Wojtek was unveiled in Edinburgh on 8 November 2015.

http://www.edinburghspotlight.com/2015/ ... lider-bear

http://www.makers.org.uk/penicuik/wojtek

kevin

Re: Wojtek the Soldier Bear

Postby kevin » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:55 pm

Hi Piotr
You might be interested to know that there is a brewery in Congleton, England that produce a beer named Wojtek after this bear. They have a website, sorry don't know how to add a link but its, www.beartownbrewery.co.uk. The beer is very good and the label on the bottle tells the story so I was aware of it, very interesting.
Best wishes
Kevin

kevin

Postby kevin » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:56 pm

ooh think its done its own link! didn't know that!

piotrwargan

Postby piotrwargan » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:45 pm

Hello Kevin,
Many thanks for this really interesting information. I did not know about this beer.
A lot about Wojtek on their website. Hope to try the beer one day :-)
All the best,
Piotr

Roger

Postby Roger » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:14 pm

Piotr,

What a fantastic story about Wojtek and of course your timing has been spot on to help us remember and honour our relatives who lived and fought during WW II - my Uncle was in the RAF and was sadly killed during active service in Singapore (the irony was that he survived the Battle of Britain). My Dad and my last living Uncle were too young to join the armed forces during WW II, but my Uncle did serve in North Africa (Army) at the end of the war. I'd be interested to hear about your relatives too, perhaps here or by e-mail/PM. I could let you know what my Dad did during the war and why he doesn't like "Dads Army"!

Kevin,

Never thought I'd get to know about a brewery I hadn't heard of on this forum :) Think that the beer in question is a bit strong for me though!

Best to you both,

Roger

kevin

Postby kevin » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:02 pm

Hi Roger,
That's the appeal of this forum Gordon and guitar based but with an eclectic twist.
best wishes
Kevin

Return to “General Chat”