Introductory Hello

The social chat group. The place for the completely off-topic stuff - general chit-chat, things like that - No music here!

Moderator: GORDON

kcarr292

Introductory Hello

Postby kcarr292 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:58 am

Hello everyone

I'm Keith, 47 from Newcastle. I'm an amateur guitar player myself. Ive been an admirer of Gordon's playing since my early teens when I first encountered his Peacock Party album. I subsequently wore out many a tape machine playing and replaying his intricate lines trying to work out how he managed to do those seemingly impossible things. Thirty odd years on I'm still wondering. Although I've listened to a lot of other types of music over the years I often return to those early albums of his and they hold the same wonderment as ever they did. There's a few albums that stay with you and become the soundtrack to your life and Gordon has done that for me. The other big album favourite of mine is Mike Oldfields Ommadawn who I believe Gordon had an early affiliation with. I've spent the majority of the last twenty years learning classical guitar, got my grade eight years ago but didn't pursue it as I'm probably the most stage frightened mouse there is! So just a hobbyist I'm afraid. I'm married, partly owning and running a family business in the construction trade (terrible profession for a guitarists nails!). Its years since I caught Gordon live, but hope to when he's next up in this cold part of the world.

Regards Keith

matt

Re: Introductory Hello

Postby matt » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:15 am

trying to work out how he managed to do those seemingly impossible things.

That's because there's nothing 'seemingly' about it ... voodoo magic ... I've decided :mrgreen:

Welcome from one newbie to another... :) pull up a chair and list your instruments of choice .. alternatively do as Gordon rather smartly did and create a whole website devoted to them :D
Damn... broke a nail

Bob Wilson

Postby Bob Wilson » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:36 pm

Hi Keith
Welcome to the forum. You'll find plenty of like minded people here and lots of encouragement and advice.
When you do get to a Gordon concert get Creating the Dream from the merch table. Gordon and I collaborated to produce Tabs, DVD and CD showing how to play The Dodo's Dream from the Peacock Party and explaining how he now uses the loop station to great effect to produce a very full, finished sound. Check it out on YouTube. Taylor Bird is out there in Tabs too. A fantastic album!
Enjoy! :D
Bob
Lives touch and paths cross for a reason - be grateful for these meetings and grow as a person

kevin

Postby kevin » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:49 pm

Welcome Keith
Fellow stagefright sufferer. I fall apart playing in front of my wife!
Future thread here I feel, were not alone
Best wishes
Kevin

Roger

Postby Roger » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:29 pm

Welcome to the forum Keith!

Roger :)

piotrwargan

Postby piotrwargan » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:20 am

Hello Keith and welcome to the forum!