Barton Carnival Inn, 8th June

Posts on this board should be directly about Gordon's concerts. Comments, reviews or questions relating to Gordon's concerts are welcome here.

Moderator: GORDON

David

Postby David » Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:11 pm

Thank you Gordon for another super evening’s entertainment!

We thought the session last night at the Carnival Inn was great. You were on top form! Excellent music, excellent playing, and that straightforward laid back humour.

The feeling you put into the playing, particularly of ‘Lucifer’s cage’ and ‘Here comes the sun’ was remarkable. By the way, we both think ‘Lucifer’s cage’ gives a sense of powerful, volcanic, possibly Godly forces. We appear to feel much more positively about it than the impression you gave for your own feelings towards it.

The live performances always bring an additional freshness to the recordings we enjoy - the little extra trills in ‘Rainbow Kites’, the ever so slightly longer pause in ‘Isabella's Wedding’, oh yes, and that wonderful ‘Appalachian Dreaming’!

October in Sheffield, and December in Stockport are our next 2 opportunities, and we are looking forward to them! Any chance of ‘Sad skies’ next time?

Congratulations to you and Hilary on the 21 years by the way.
sincerely,

Christine & David

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:44 pm

Hello Both.

SO pleased you enjoyed the concert. Sadly Sad Skies is a piece for Rock band and not really a solo piece otherwise I would have given it a crack. I believe you lived near to me in the early day so someone said?

Be Well.

G.

David

Postby David » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:49 am

Dear Gordon,

We know ‘Sad Skies’ comes from the ‘Band’ era, but we thought it sounded like it could transfer to the solo stage fairly easily. Nonetheless ‘Roots’ was a fine reminder! Those early albums were much played in the first house we had together.

As to the ‘early days’ thing, we both went to Bexley Grammar School. Your uncle was a really nice guy and used to let me (D) use the photographic darkroom late after school. I remember you turning up with some mates at his house when you must have been around 18. We were all very impressed! If you are still in touch, please say hello to him from us.

You may like to know that Chris played ‘On Camber Sands’ in her school assembly this morning and the kids were well impressed!
sincerely,

Christine & David

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:27 am

Hi David.

Sadly my uncle passed away about five years ago, but thankyou for the nice comments, and yes he was a nice man.

When you say that Chris 'played' On Camber Sands, did you mean she performed it or was it from the CD?

If she did perform it I'm very flattered AND impressed as it's a tricky piece to perform live with the delay!

Be Well.

Gordon.

David

Postby David » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:49 am

Hi Gordon,

I am very sorry to hear about your uncle. I spoke to him a fair bit most days while I was at the school. He was consistently friendly and just a pleasure to talk with. Looking back, I realise my prolonged use of the darkroom after school must have inconvenienced him, but he never did anything but encourage me. I hope he had an enjoyable retirement.

Given her exceptionally high regard for your playing, Chris will probably not know where to put herself tonight when she gets back to read your last post! My apologies for my ambiguity - she doesn't play the guitar! Incidentally, she played Appalachian Dreaming in the same assembly and that went down very well too.

By the way, you mentioned 'Troubadour' at Barton and we realised it was an album we didn't have - so we've put that right! The 'orchestral' treatments really work well, fabulous stuff! Thank you.
sincerely,

Christine & David

Return to “Gordon's Concerts”