Purcell Room

Posts on this board should be directly about Gordon's concerts. Comments, reviews or questions relating to Gordon's concerts are welcome here.

Moderator: GORDON

Sue
Site Admin

Purcell Room

Postby Sue » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:50 am

As I type this at 10.30 am Gordon and Hilary are valiantly setting out for London through the snow.

Mike and I were planning to attend, but where we live in Ramsgate is effectively cut off from the rest of the world although we don't have much snow here ( about 3inches that fell 3 days ago and is now solid ice ) it is now snowing here again. The main road out of Ramsgate past Manston airport is closed due to drifts and accidents.

That combined with gales and heavier snow in a broad band across most of Kent has led to drifting, impossibly icy hills and roads being closed. The Sandwich, Deal and Dover area is cut off and impassable with 4ft drifts and abandoned cars reported within 10 miles of us, many main roads from there to Canterbury / Canterbury to Whitstable are also effectively closed. The bridges to the Isle of Sheppy are shut and even the motorways are struggling. Trains and buses are severely restricted.

So, I just wanted to say to Gordon and everyone else heading for this event, please take great care and make sure you are well prepared before you set out just in case. Those of you that make it are assured a wonderful evening. Wish we could be with you.

UPDATE: 1.30pm Gordon and Hilary have arrived at the venue safely without any problems enroute and are looking forward to playing tonight.

Sue
GG webmaster

Mike Stranks

Postby Mike Stranks » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:26 pm

I have every sympathy for you Sue - I'm in the same boat myself.

I too was planning to attend, but with the weather forecast as it was I decided not to risk it. After our approx 10 ins of snow on Tuesday night/Wednesday we had another light fall (half-inch) this morning and it's now snowing again!

I join with Sue in hoping that all who made it to the concert had a brilliant evening and all got home safely and in good time.

Best to all. Mike
The older I get, the better I used to be

keithmeredith

Postby keithmeredith » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:09 pm

It is most unfortunate that you guys were unable to attend this concert - you missed an absolute treat.

I won't elaborate too much as I have submitted a review for posting to Sue ,our esteemed administrator. Suffice to say that Virginia Luque - an unknown to me prior to this gig - certainly did not disappoint. Our Troubadour entertained in his inimitable style too but he just doen't look as good.(sorry Gordon)

Thank you for helping to make this event happen Gordon, it was well worth the journey .Please thank Ms Luque for coming all the way from the USA to play for us, and try and persuade her to return so that more forum members can have the chance to see her play. A spiffing start to the 2010 GG concert season.

Keith

Sue
Site Admin

Postby Sue » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:49 pm

GG webmaster

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:48 pm

Hi Keith.

SO sorry you weren't able stop to say hi after the gig.THANKYOU not only for coming but for that lovely review. I have contacted a plastic surgeon and plans are afoot...grin.. :D

Virginia is not only a beautiful player, lovely to look at but is also a lovely person and great fun to be around. Yes, she is outstanding...nuff said methinks, except to say that it was a privilege to have been instrumental in getting her over to be a part of this special concert.It will be a lovely memory for all who attended and for myself, Hilary,Virginia and all our friends Paul, Mollye, Beverly and Suzi.

Be Well sir.Say hi to Fiona from us.

G.

PaulCorner

Postby PaulCorner » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:40 pm

My wife and myself managed to get to the concert with minutes to spare.
Thank goodness we did, what a wonderful evening.
Virginia Luque was absolutely magnificent. Beautiful playing and pieces by a number of composers i have never heard of.
There was even a slot after her for an older guy to play a few pieces!
Seriously though Gordon, I would like to say thank you very much for introducing us to Virginia's music and playing. I also have to say that your concert was, as always, wonderful. You've never failed to wow me and this was no exception. Over the years you have written some lovely music and it was a great selection Saturday night. Look forward to the next concert and hope to see you at the beer festival again sometime.

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:51 pm

Hi Paul.

Thanks ever so much for your posting. You speak the truth with regard to Virginia. The older I get the more I cherish nights like Saturday where folk really make the effort to turn out for live music, and I get the opportunity to present an artist of Virginia's calibre to a London audience. I sort of look on it as a privilege.

A lovely memory for all of us to take into 2010.

Be Well sir.

G.

Return to “Gordon's Concerts”