Double Vision - Holywell Music Room,Oxford

Posts on this board should be directly about Gordon's concerts. Comments, reviews or questions relating to Gordon's concerts are welcome here.

Moderator: GORDON

keithmeredith

Double Vision - Holywell Music Room,Oxford

Postby keithmeredith » Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:31 pm

Hi Gordon,
What a delightful little venue - Oozing with historic character, great acoustics (to my untrained ear anyway),but largely uncontaminated by an audience - I can't think why. It must be soul destroying to play to so many empty pews.
My son and I travelled down from Northamptonshire and were not disappointed by a thoroughly enchanting performance from you and Ray - the jocular banter between you punctuating some pieces that I had not heard played live before. And you were right in your comment Gordon; Ray's guitar did sound wonderful. Even Graham, my son - a guitarist who leans towards the heavy metal/thrash genre - was drawn in.
We didn't hang around after the performance as Graham had an early start on Sunday, but my wife, Fiona , and I will say hello on the 29th November at Shuttington Vllage Hall.
Thank you Gordon and Ray for the pleasure - nay,the joy - that your music brings. May your candles of life burn slowly.
Keith

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:31 am

Hi Keith.

Thanks for attending the concert and for swelling the numbers! Although the turnout was poor it was still a nice night and was really just organised as part of Ray Burley's 60th birthday weekend, but I promised Ray to keep quiet about it, he not being very keen on drawing attention to himself in that department.

See you at the next GG show then sir.

Warm Regards.

G.

Mike Stranks

Postby Mike Stranks » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:31 am

I can only agree with everything Keith has said.

It was a wonderful concert and there was a whole new dimension to many pieces as we heard them played with the complimentary tones of the two distinctive guitar sounds.

Mr Burley clearly has a subtle and wicked (in both senses of the word!) sense of humour as his tale of his great-grandfather hooked us all very nicely!

An added bonus for me (as a sound engineer) was to have the esteemed Paul White running the sound system. Icing on the cake!

Just a shame about the small audience. Still all of us there were genuinely appreciative of the musical feast presented to us.

Return to “Gordon's Concerts”