Birmingham birthday gig

Posts on this board should be directly about Gordon's concerts. Comments, reviews or questions relating to Gordon's concerts are welcome here.

Moderator: GORDON

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:13 pm

Hi, Saturday was an amazing show, I loved it. Thankyou Gordon Raymond John and Rick.
I had not been to The Town Hall for over 35 years !! The last time was to see Uriah Heep 8) in 72 or 73. It looks a little better than I remember :wink:
Great show & great venue. Oh, and a special mention for The Dodo's Dream, stunning.
Just incase I did not make it clear....I had a Bostin' time ;)
Cheers, Mick.

John Adams

Postby John Adams » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:11 pm

I can only echo the comments re the 60th Birthday concert at the Birmingham Town Hall – it took nearly 240 years of talent and experience to create such an event! A wonderful evening amongst friends (both on stage and off) four outstanding musicians working together to enthral the audience with their excellence, working together to raise the performance to new heights!
Ray’s superb interpretations of Gordon’s compositions and his mastery of the classical guitar never fails to impress. John’s performance was as relaxed as ever, entertaining the audience with his skill and the ability merging Caribbean rhythms with more traditional tunes as well as performing Jazz and tunes with a Reggae influence. Rick entertained the audience with his not very PC but very funny recollections as well as his excellent compositions and dexterity on the piano. Gordon demonstrated not only his skill as a composer and guitar player but the warmth of his personality, wonderful renditions of Maddie Goes West, Dublin Day, Heartsong, Fast Approaching and of course the ever evolving Dodo’ Dream enthralled the audience. We were treated to the latest rendition of Gordon’s “unnamed commission piece” with more than a passing resemblance to Summer Holiday! It was a great pity, both that such a wonderful evening had to come to an end and that such a special occasion was not recorded for posterity! Ray believes that a certain J S Bach is “the guvnor” but on Saturday I think it was undoubtedly Mr Giltrap! Can’t wait to hear the Gordon and Rick’s new CD (Of Brush and Stone) hopefully it will be released in time for Christmas.

Sue
Site Admin

Postby Sue » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:39 pm

Just to let you know that Gordon's thoughts on The Birmingham gig are posted here

http://www.giltrap.co.uk/index.php?page=news&category=02--Recent_Major_Concerts&display=1938

along with some of the audience reviews, plus there are two galleries of photos in the Gallery section too

Sue

simjen

Postby simjen » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:39 pm

Hi All,

Not much to add to the previous comments re B'ham concert last Saturday.

What a marvelous setting for such a wonderful evening. Alex and I will remember this for some time to come.

Thanks to Ray, John, Rick and of course Gordon for making it truly a night to remember.

Any chance of you all getting together a gain sometime next year? It is Mr. Wakeman's 60th after all!

Simon.
Simon Jenny, long term fan.

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:42 pm

A GREAT IDEA!

My best to you Both.

G.

andy P

Postby andy P » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:37 pm

I must say I echo that - while it was all great the four of you performing together was a real highlight. For me it was one of those rare times when you are so captivated by the musicianship that the 20 minute session seems to be over in no time and you are left thinking - don't stop we want more - keep going!

An evening to treasure!

Hope to pitch up at Bewdley in a few weeks - hopefully with my son Ben (11) who is a keen violinist but loves all kinds of music - including yours

All the best

Andy from Stourbridge

Return to “Gordon's Concerts”