Birmingham birthday gig

Posts on this board should be directly about Gordon's concerts. Comments, reviews or questions relating to Gordon's concerts are welcome here.

Moderator: GORDON

coling

Birmingham birthday gig

Postby coling » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:47 pm

What good news at last, Gordon. Having heard you mention "something special in September" when you were at Dorchester in January, I had though events had conspired against you. Living on the South Coast as I do, I couldn't get to see the "3 guitars" concerts you did (last year was it?) in the North West so I'm eagerly looking forward to you, Raymond and John at the Town Hall. And with memoroes of Rick Wakeman at the Symphony Hall, it's a real bonus to be able to hear you both again. Ticket booked, so roll on September.

John Adams

Three Prts Guitar

Postby John Adams » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:44 pm

I never cease to be amazed by the contents of the GG Website – I’ve booked my tickets too!!!!

ColinB

Postby ColinB » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:13 am

The Birmingham gig is close to my wife's birthday so have booked a couple of front row seats, it just seems such a long time to wait!

Lu_B

Postby Lu_B » Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:35 pm

I've booked tickets for my dad as its his 60th birthday this year too.

Will be our first GG concert and am really looking forward to it.

GORDON
Site Admin

BIRMINGHAM CONCERT

Postby GORDON » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:39 pm

Hi Lu....

Hope the night is the fun we all hope it will be .

See you there friend.

G.

coling

Postby coling » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:55 pm

Well, Gordon, the day finally approaches and the anticipation grows. I know I'm looking forward to the evening and I hope you are too - although I accept there might be the odd butterfly or two. May I wish you all the best for the rehearsals and the day.

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:49 pm

I can't begin to tell you how nervous I'm getting about this upcoming show. But hey it should be fun, it is after all a birthday concert for three of us!

Best.

G.

David

Birmingham birthday gig

Postby David » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:23 pm

Hi Gordon,

Nervous? Perhaps that's your modesty showing through. You will have an audience 100% behind you though! Once you feel that support ...

We're thoroughly looking forward to it. Any chance the Secret Valentine Guitar might make an appearance? You were kind enough to respond to our request for the Fylde to make an outing at the Xmas bash, (we've got our tickets for Bramall and the mince pies!).
sincerely,

Christine & David

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:27 am

Hi Chris and Dave.

Sorry the Secret Valentine guitar is in hibernation at the moment...grin.

Hope you enjoy the show.

Best Regards.

Gordon.

AndrewD

Postby AndrewD » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:39 am

I don't know what the guitarist's equivalent of the thespian's phrase "Break a leg" is - snap a string? Crack a nail?? Whatever it is I'm sure the gig will be a rip roaring success and I wish I was going to be there. It will be something special, I'm sure!

Mike Stranks

Postby Mike Stranks » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:42 am

In a word...wonderful!

A stunning event which started brilliantly and then got better and better throughout the evening.

Thanks Gordon (and Ray, John and Rick) for giving us a truly memorable concert. Musicianship of the very highest order coupled with a huge sense of fun. Magic!

David

Birmingham birthday gig

Postby David » Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:05 pm

It was always going to be a special concert. It did not disappoint.

If you had any pretensions to liking guitar music in almost any of its forms then you had no excuse but to be enthralled. Ray’s precision, John’s passion and Gordon’s consummate mastery, were there to delight and envelope you. And then Rick, living legend, coaxing liquid gold from the Steinway, let you slip and slide to euphoria.

Each musician, at the peak of their art, showcasing solo, treating us to some of their, and our, favourites. Gordon, was as engaging as ever. The Fylde, much to our personal delight, kicked off the set with the fullness only the 12 string can give. Leading us through some old favourites, and a work in progress, to a version of Dodo’s Dream that seemed that little more ethereal than usual, as the notes soared and faded. Ray taking us musically to the heat of Spain and Brazil, rubbing the imaginary sweat from his brow, carefully coaxing those magic tunes from a guitar too precious to ever put down. With John we were transported straight to Africa, and not a foot could resist that rhythm, and from there to a Blues club, wreathed in coils of smoke. He showed us a new depth to the electric guitar as his tongue hovered at the corner of his mouth in concentration. And Rick, left elbow working overtime, fingers moving faster than one could follow, caused the notes to flow into each other and around us, transporting us to Liverpool and Hampton Court.

Finally, after every combination of guitar duo had surprised and delighted, the 4 played together. “Muddy” goes West, and Fast Approaching were excellent choices. Despite the size of the venue, the 4 musicians managed to make it feel an intimate concert. There was an openness. At times, the cost to the musicians, in terms of nervous energy, could be guessed at. But professionals to a man, their connection with their instruments was magical. Their camaraderie obvious, no more so than when Rick demonstrated the position required for a ‘Giltrap waxing’!

And glancing momentarily at our neighbours now and again, revealed an audience in rapt attention, thrilling to every note and anecdote. The only sadness, that it was over too soon, and then, as we stumbled out into the cool evening, the shock of how long it had actually been - time flies when you are having fun!

Thank you all.
sincerely,

Christine & David

Bob Wilson

Postby Bob Wilson » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:41 pm

I can only agree with the posts. What a fantastic concert. From the start the atmosphere was electric and with Gordon quickly engaging the audience it was obvious that this was going to be a concert to remember. With Gordon, Ray, John and Rick we had a very wide range of music in one concert. From the Celtic influences through the classical to jazz, blues and even hints of reggae all topped off with the lovely classical and rock piano.
The duos and whole stage pieces were not only great to hear but the banter between all of the musicians showed how much they really all appreciate each others skills as well as each others friendships.
It's just a pity it wasn't on DVD or maybe a BBC Four film crew there to record :). I, for one, would love to watch it again.
It was also great to be sat next to Sue and Mike, just back after their (well earned) holiday (can't wait to see the pics Sue!) and to meet John and Pauline.
A very big thank you to all the musicians.
Truly a night to remember
Be well
Bob and Jane

GORDON
Site Admin

BIRMINGHAM TOWN HALL.

Postby GORDON » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:12 am

A HUGE thankyou to you all for attending the concert and for your wonderful postings. Saturday was everything I hoped it would be. This has made me one happy 60 year old bunny... :D

Gordon.

coling

Postby coling » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:26 am

Quite agree with the correspondents. A wonderful arena in which to see 4 consummate musicians (and friends) demonstrate their art. The acoustics were marvellous and shows how well the renovation of the Town Hall has been undertaken. Even with the ensemble pieces at the end where 4 different sounds were competing on stage, I could hear each of the four parts clearly. The programme for the evening rightly kept to a simple plan of 4 solo sections, the audience attention held tightly in each by the pieces selected, leading to a rotation of guitar duets where the individual playing styles and instrument tones blended wonderfully well, and finally a piano and guitar ensemble to round off the evening. "Maddy" was indeed a revelation in its extended form, allowing Gordon to hold it all together with the theme and then giving time to each of Ray, John and Rick to highlight while the others strummed along. A real example of how Gordon's "simple tunes" as he calls them can be adapted to the occasion.
Yes it was over all too soon from the audience's perception (if not the performers' who would be well justified in wanting a breather) but doesn't this just underline what a hugely enjoyable and enthralling performance it was? Well done Gordon, Ray, John and Rick. I wouldn't have missed this for the world.

Return to “Gordon's Concerts”