ST Helens Gig

Posts on this board should be directly about Gordon's concerts. Comments, reviews or questions relating to Gordon's concerts are welcome here.

Moderator: GORDON

Colin F

ST Helens Gig

Postby Colin F » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:14 pm

Hi Gordon, I trust you and the family had a good Christmas. I see your going to play St Helens on the 28th (they like mushy peas over Faggots up there you know? Grin) I told 'Our' Liam' about it and so he's thinking of going to see you play, as it's near by (We have a Sister who lives in St Helens actually, can't think why thats even relevant at the moment!) Pity I can't make it over myself though. Still, I hope it's a great gig.
Best wishes
Colin

Colin F

Postby Colin F » Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:25 am

PS. In case anyone was wondering, Faggots are a local delicacy in St Helens, Large meatballs (usually made from minced Lamb I think)then smothered in mushy peas! Not a favourite dish of mine but very popular in Lancashire,... apparently!...... I obviously need to get out more!

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:20 pm

Tell Liam, it will be good to see him.

Best.

G.

craig7810

Postby craig7810 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:53 am

Hi everybody,

I'd just like to say that i went to the citadel on friday and had a brilliant night. I cant wait for you to play another concert in the northwest. I will certainly come. you had some really nice guitars. Does anybody know about the effect that the fan fret has on the 12string? I've only ever seen 1 fan fret before and the was a 6string bass.
Anyway, enough rambling, i just wanted to say hi and thank you for a great show.

Craig

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:31 am

Hi Craig.

Many Thanks Sir.

The reason for the fan fretting is manifold. The main reason is for better intonation,the second is for playability in terms of the treble strings being of a shorter scale length hence making them a lower tension which makes ease of playing. On the bass side it is of a longer scale which means as you normally pitch a 12 string LOWER than concert, the lower string remain at a higher tension,and believe it or not the left hand gets used to the fan frets and it's probably easier to play strange as it appears. With experimentation of string guages the whole tonal effect comes into play, and for me this stunning guitar is coming alive on a daily basis, which I'm sure was apparant on Friday where I thought the sound all round was inspirational, thanks to a great sound engineer and a great room.

Hope all of the above is of some help.

Best of Regards.

G.

craig7810

Postby craig7810 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:48 am

Hi Gordon,

Thanks for the reply, yeah that makes sense and i can see how it may feel more comfortable if i ever see a fan fretted guitar i'll have to have a go. I agree the citadel does have a great sound, i was sat central in front of the mixing desk, so i go the full effect and the ping pong delay sounded brilliant. It was truley inspirational. I must admit i got emotional when you played dodo's dream.
Once again thank you for a great show and i hope to see you again very soon.

Kind Regards
Craig

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:12 am

Hi Craig.

Glad all that made sense sir, and THANKS for that lovely posting about the concert. Yep, that old Dodo is still touching the spot with folk, which is amazing when you think that it's about 28 years old!

Be Well and hope to see you again sometime.

G.

Return to “Gordon's Concerts”