Chepstow Drill Hall Concert - 26 April

Posts on this board should be directly about Gordon's concerts. Comments, reviews or questions relating to Gordon's concerts are welcome here.

Moderator: GORDON

sultan4swing

Chepstow Drill Hall Concert - 26 April

Postby sultan4swing » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:19 pm

Hi Gordon..... Many thanks for providing us both with a memorable evening of your still amazing technical guitar playing, repertoire and stories..... great to hear your repetoire and instruments live... !!!!

Sorry we couldn't stay behind to say hello, but us serious wrinklies annual itinerary visiting my old haunts, friends and ex-colleagues had been so full-on that we needed to get some much needed rest. 4 days seeing 20 people plus your concert and 2 operas was a bit too much this time.... !!!!

Yeah - you are right - the bass bit of 'Angie' is easy - it's the rest that's the problem.. !!! But I've had some 30 years to get it to a recognisable standard.... always loved playing it - and my wife actually recognised my playing from your version - praise indeed.. !!!!

Suffice to say that visiting some young friends on the way home - they both remembered the concert of yours in Cheltenham - must have been back in late 80's/90's ?? As non guitarists and not particularly musical - THAT is an accolade indeed.. !!!

Given the disdain that Chinese or Korean goods are often held in, very pleasantly surprised re you comments on your new instrument... my wife loved its light colour, grain and finish... I have a Korean Ovation Celebrity elec/accoustic 12S - nothing wrong with its quality either - and we all know about Yamaha guitars and instruments in general....

Very best wishes and thanks again for a super guitar conosseur's concert...

GORDON
Site Admin

Re: Chepstow Drill Hall Concert - 26 April

Postby GORDON » Fri May 04, 2018 5:47 pm

THANKYOU so much sir.Glad you enjoyed the music and guitar sounds.Be well.G.

steve

Postby steve » Wed May 09, 2018 2:34 pm

sultan4swing wrote:Suffice to say that visiting some young friends on the way home - they both remembered the concert of yours in Cheltenham - must have been back in late 80's/90's ?? As non guitarists and not particularly musical - THAT is an accolade indeed.. !!!

I wonder how "young" your good friends are?! Gordon commented on my age at his recent wonderful Tracey Sollis charity concert at Tithe Barn, Bretforton. Alas this was simply in response to my recognition of the Fear Of The Dark album! I wonder if that tour you mention was Gordon's tour with Ric Sanders ("One To One") in 1989? I first saw Gordon live on that particular tour in Cheltenham and I took my father along to it. My whole family had been listening to GG since Perilous Journey came out and we were interested to see if this "bloke can play live as good as he sounds on the record"! I think we can safely say he can. I think it was at the Town Hall (and I got my first ever bit of signed memorabilia - the One To One CD itself - more on that in a mo'). As this tour was my first GG concert experience I do have fond memories of it but I also attended Redditch Town Hall and The Red Lion, Birmingham, with my late brother.

20 years ago I was living in Worcester and suffered from a burglary. About 150 CD's were stolen but because I had stored everything in drawers and filed alphabetically (I know, I know.....) the thieves ended up trying to unload CD's from artists with surnames beginning with letters from 'A' to 'G' only. Wouldn't you just believe it that my signed copy of "One To One" was the last CD they swiped before scarpering ! I've been looking for a replacement copy ever since but it was deleted long ago and some used copies are now being sold at sky high prices. Fortunately I have just secured a copy of the 1999 reissue (not the one with the Portmeirion photo cover), from the USA no less!
Mirrors should think longer before they reflect ~ Jean Cocteau

sultan4swing

Postby sultan4swing » Thu May 10, 2018 6:32 pm

Hi Steve... Looks like , by coincidence, you and I were at the same GG concert in Cheltenham - in 1989? (it was my home for some 47 years, and then 12 years in the FOD).. It was held in an anti-room. And like you - I was introduced to GG music thru 'Fear of the Dark', 'Perilous Journey'...... and 'Peacocks Party'..... My 'young friends' are now in their early fifties - shows how we are all getting older - especially me.... It is scarey how time flies - especially in the last 10 years - the more you do and interests you have, the quicker time goes .... Getting ones head around not only having a 43 year career at a 'certain Cheltenham Government facility'.... plus many years spare time gigging, and then since retirement - visiting around 100 different countries, is difficult to grasp.... but it is so.... So, my wife and I being at least very young at heart with a combined age of 140 - strongly believe that ..... ''it is infinitely preferable to roll into the grave totally worn out shouting 'what a ride', than to get there with a perfectly healthy body'...... Today my wife left me to my guitars - had a first go at a passable version of 'The Lord's Table'... total seclusion - just me and a classical guitar'.... bliss.... !!!! Best wishes..... PS ... wonder if we ever met in my previous life ????? PPS You mentioned Rik Sanders - I think I saw him. Was he a bearded guy who also did a lot of accoustic instrumentals with loads of effects ???

steve

Postby steve » Fri May 11, 2018 1:42 pm

Ric Sanders was a one-time member of Fairport Convention but he's played with other musicians over the years and similar to Gordon, he has had a successful solo career too.

I don't recall the beard but I might be mistaken! I think you're referring to Ric's piece called "PDC (Pretty Damn Cosmic)" which was on the "One To One" album and Ric played it at that concert and on that particular tour.
Mirrors should think longer before they reflect ~ Jean Cocteau

Return to “Gordon's Concerts”