Ravens & Lullabies - Bilston - 6 / 4 / 2014

Posts on this board should be directly about Gordon's concerts. Comments, reviews or questions relating to Gordon's concerts are welcome here.

Moderator: GORDON

keithmeredith

Ravens & Lullabies - Bilston - 6 / 4 / 2014

Postby keithmeredith » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:16 pm

Fiona & I shouldn’t really have been surprised in an industrial connection between Bilston, situated as it is in the heart of the Black Country, and the Northamptonshire town of Corby where we reside. Both were famous for the production of steel until the works were closed in the late 1970s with the loss of thousands of jobs. During a pre concert wander, we found an interesting memorial to Bilston’s past industrial glories near to the railway station.

The Drill Hall of the former South Staffordshire Regiment situated in Mount Pleasant – now more famous as the Robin2 music venue – was to play host to the Giltrap/Wakeman ensemble that has become known as the Ravens & Lullabies Band.

I had been bitterly disappointed to miss the band’s much praised debut performance at the Summer’s End Festival in Lydney last October, and was therefore chuffed that a short – probably never to be repeated – tour has transpired.

Our evening started in explosive manner with the new rock anthem, Moneyfacturing – blowing away any cobwebs in our minds and bringing down upon the stage a small snowstorm of paper pieces that were the remnants of a previous entertainment. Continuing with other ‘Ravens’ pieces from the R&L album (the strong, loud, rock compositions) this was developing into a gig turned up to eleven in more ways than one.

Generally I have always preferred instrumental music – but the strong, mellifluous voice of Mr.Paul Manzi has converted me with his perfect enunciation of meaningful lyrics. Perhaps it is my advancing years but it really is a pleasure to be able to understand what is being performed without the assistance of a song sheet.

I was also impressed with the pure energy exhibited by Johanne James on the drums. His drumsticks were airborne for much of the time but not once did his twirling cause him to miss a beat.

The house was a-rocking, but after what seemed a very short time four band members left the stage and so began a short interlude featuring Gordon and Oliver performing some of the “Lullaby” tunes from the album. Among others Oliver presented LJW – written for his wife – and Gordon gave us a note perfect Fiona’s Smile – the homage to mine.

I suspected that Oliver’s refusal to allow Gordon to leave the stage to retune guitars hid an ulterior motive. It was Mr.Giltrap’s birthday, and as the band returned to the stage Paul appeared with a special birthday cake that – perhaps unwisely as it turned out – was topped with lighted candles. As he bent to offer the cake to the birthday boy there was a gasp as Mr.Manzi’s long locks ignited with a whoosh. Seldom have I seen a keyboard player move as swiftly as Oliver did to extinguish the flames. The odorous scent of singed hair permeated the auditorium for some time - but thankfully no real harm resulted from this Arthur Brown moment.

The re-assembled band continued in a rock like manner with further excerpts from the album, interspersed with some of Mr.Wakeman’s back catalogue. I particularly enjoyed the rock version of Elizabethan Pirates and the title track from Oliver’s 2005(I think) album Mother’s Ruin – very high octane and high energy. The resonance of Paul Manzi’s vocal chords held the whole venue in awed reverence with the lament, Is This The Last Song I Write.

Of course the band could not possibly get away without an encore – and they gave us an absolute cracker – a full band version of Heartsong that left an emotional reviewer with moist eyes. This piece surely deserves to be re-released.

The excitement regarding the Ravens & Lullabies Band is well justified – Gordon Giltrap, Oliver Wakeman, Paul Manzi, Johanne James, Steve Anderson and Nick Kendall have indeed created a supergroup from their collective talent, musicianship and professionalism. I have witnessed and taken great joy from the brilliance of their performance - and quite frankly I want more.

kevin

Re: Ravens & Lullabies - Bilston - 6 / 4 / 2014

Postby kevin » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:44 pm

Keith,
Superb review,as ever, glad I left it in your hands.
A well researched piece that summed up the evening as it was.
Incidently I also enjoyed the support act Matt Stevens
Best wishes
Kevin.

Mike Stranks

Re: Ravens & Lullabies - Bilston - 6 / 4 / 2014

Postby Mike Stranks » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:44 am

Brilliant as always Keith! :D

I am 'crewing' for the band on 25th and 27th April; anyone going to either of those?
The older I get, the better I used to be

Return to “Gordon's Concerts”