Four Parts Guitar - Calstock, Cornwall - Sunday 30 March

Posts on this board should be directly about Gordon's concerts. Comments, reviews or questions relating to Gordon's concerts are welcome here.

Moderator: GORDON

Mike Stranks

Four Parts Guitar - Calstock, Cornwall - Sunday 30 March

Postby Mike Stranks » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:55 am

Well this was a special concert for me in so many ways...

I wasn't on the sound-desk, or crewing, or generally supporting Gordon... I was just sat in the audience - something I haven't done for several years at a GG gig... sat next to me was my brother, Dave, who first introduced me to Gordon's music back in 1976!

The Calstock venue is a former Methodist Chapel where they taken out the 'pulpit' wall and replaced if floor-to-ceiling with plate glass. This not only gives stunning views across the valley - at least until the shades of even fall - but also means that the venue feels very light and airy.

The venue was packed and Dave and I surmised whether people came because it was their local venue to hear some 'quality' or because they knew of the reputation or some or all of the ensemble which is Four Parts.

Well whatever, they weren't disappointed.

The guys all produced a storming set - I won't go into detail as Keith's covered that admirably in his review of Huntingdon Hall. Just sitting there listening to these four supremos it struck me just how different they are, but yet similar: different styles and disciplines, but all at the top of their game and all with an obvious great respect for each other and delight in each other's company.

And to hear the anecdotes gave another insight of just how good these guys who are all so unassuming when you talk to them truly are. "I was waiting for Tony Hatch when I got chatting to The Beatles".... "so I said to Eric"... "and then John Renbourn"... "when I play this with John Williams".... "the thing about Stephan Grapelli was..."

An evening I won't quickly forget.... as the audience were shouting at the end, "More! More!" Yes please; and the sooner the better!
The older I get, the better I used to be

Return to “Gordon's Concerts”