The Musician, Leicester - 30 /10/ 2013

Posts on this board should be directly about Gordon's concerts. Comments, reviews or questions relating to Gordon's concerts are welcome here.

Moderator: GORDON

keithmeredith

The Musician, Leicester - 30 /10/ 2013

Postby keithmeredith » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:17 pm

This can’t be right - Gordon Giltrap and Oliver Wakeman playing at The Musician in Leicester? Isn’t that a pub venue where all those loud heavy metal bands play? Not the sort of place for the more sophisticated sort of players surely.

My son, Graham, and I pondered this as we made our way to Clyde Street for a boys evening out. We had previously visited The Musician together to see The Enid: and Graham had attended several times to hear bands producing a decidedly more ferrous sound.

Happily, I can report that everything worked swimmingly. The room had been laid out ‘cabaret style’ with discreet lighting providing a warm, cozy atmosphere for the knowledgeable and appreciative audience. The presage was positive.

The ever-lovely Hilary greeted us and, after obtaining some liquid refreshment at the bar, we found seats to the right of the stage for a change, to get a better view of Oliver’s keyboard prestidigitations.

The Ravens & Lullabies set has become familiar and understood – but hearing it played through the exceptional sound system permanently set up at The Musician gave it a further dimension. Although we were not in the best position acoustically it sounded pretty damn good to me. The banter and gentle, teasing rapport between Gordon and Oliver appeared as spontaneous as ever – and elicited much cachinnation from the audience.

Favorite pieces were Wherever There Is Beauty, LBW, A Mayfair Kiss, Lutey and the Mermaid, Fiona’s Smile (of course) and a flawless Dodo’s Dream only very slightly marred by a technical gremlin. We were all sent on our way home with a tumultuous rendition of Heartsong and Wondrous Stories – the Yes classic - echoing around our collective consciences.

Graham had not witnessed the pairing of G and O before, and commented on what an excellent pairing they were – their respective musical styles, abilities and professionalism each complementing the other. He is a guitarist and performer too – so I believe that opinion to carry extra weight.

I came away with my usual feeling of elation at having seen and heard two superlative musicians and a suspicion that I was going to suffer the after effects of my indulgence in the morning – I shouldn’t have had that second shandy. We Meredith’s know how to paint the town red!!!!!!!!

Roger

Re: The Musician, Leicester - 30 /10/ 2013

Postby Roger » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:01 am

Nice one Keith! Hope the hangover wasn't too bad :)

Roger

Return to “Gordon's Concerts”