The Heron Theatre, Beetham, Cumbria 13th Sept 2013

Posts on this board should be directly about Gordon's concerts. Comments, reviews or questions relating to Gordon's concerts are welcome here.

Moderator: GORDON

AndrewD

The Heron Theatre, Beetham, Cumbria 13th Sept 2013

Postby AndrewD » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:21 pm

Well, what a treat this gig was. Having been involved with the theatre since August 2012 as a technical volunteer and having seen its potential as a perfect Giltrap venue I managed in November last year to get a booking arranged and the details were finalised in January. I am delighted to report that the theatre's potential was fully realised last night, and more so.

The theatre seats 81 and the show was sold out well before the event date. As this was the first formal outing for the theatre's new electrics and overhauled lighting and sound I was keen to hear what the overall effect was like. Everyone, Gordon especially, felt the acoustics in the auditorium really suited his setup.

The auditorium is quite intimate and in the front row you can put your feet on the stage if you have long legs. The audience was very enthusiastic and welcoming as Gordon came on stage.

Gordon played many old (and new) favourites, so many I'm not going to list them all but they included Appalachian Dreaming, Shining Morn, Here Comes the Sun, Ives Horizon, The Lord's Seat, Down the River, Maddie Goes West, Kaz, On Camber Sands, Anji (or was it Doris?) and, of course, The Dodo's Dream, which, unlike the ill-fated dodo, continues to evolve and is still as jaw-droppingly wonderful as the first time I heard it at The Fleece in Bretforton some 9 or 10 years ago. The songs were interspersed with Gordon's unique and inimitable repartee. The evening was rounded off with an incredibly engergetic rendition of Heartsong, the full length album version which doesn't get aired that often. The call for an encore was loud and Gordon didn't even get off the stage before turning round and coming back! The encore was an even more energetic rendition of Lucifer's Cage which wore me out just watching it. It all finished with a standing ovation, a fitting ending to a superb evening.

For some of the theatre members this was their first taste of GG but I know that they were blown away by what they saw and heard.

For me every concert I have been to has been equally memorable, but having the personal input into making this happen made it extra-special. Thanks G - that was a magical evening.

Return to “Gordon's Concerts”