Packington - 8 /6 /2013

Posts on this board should be directly about Gordon's concerts. Comments, reviews or questions relating to Gordon's concerts are welcome here.

Moderator: GORDON

keithmeredith

Packington - 8 /6 /2013

Postby keithmeredith » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:51 pm

What a welcome. Never before have I been offered so much food. Within thirty seconds of my arrival at the Packington Memorial Hall a cornucopia of tempting victuals were proffered by tray bearing helpers - three different ones. Clearly I have overdone the diet and must appear anorexic.

Twiddling knobs on the sound console was Sir Mike Stranks ably assisted by Wilf Upright (I’ll let Mike explain that one) – and Malc and Kas did brisk trade on the merchandise table.

This charity gig was held in memory of Mike Inchley to raise funds to purchase a defibrillator machine for his village of Osgathorpe. We learned before the concert commenced that this event and other fund raising activities had successfully provided money for three such devices.

I just knew that this was to be one of those special concerts – I sensed an atmosphere of joyful expectation about the gathered audience. It wasn’t just the beautiful weather or the fact that there was a bar: it was more anticipation of being entertained by the prodigious musical talent and delightful manner of one Gordon”Fingers”Giltrap – making a return visit to this venue and performing gratis for the cause.

From the start the gathered multitude was extremely receptive and responsive to our Troubadour’s wit, wisdom and self-effacing repartee – and they liked the music too. They were very much ‘with’ Gordon as he played and the evening proceeded from A Dublin Day through to a cracking first set finale of Dodo’s dream – which literally produced gasps from somewhere behind me.

The raffle had received some outstanding prizes from local businesses and others – including a Land Rover off road experience, a tour of the Houses of Parliament, and meals at a number of local restaurants as well as the more usual cake and booze.

And so the music continued.

Perhaps encouraged by the support received from the audience thus far, Gordon amazingly delivered an even more outstanding second set – culminating in an energetic rendition of Heartsong – and was rewarded by a (not very) orchestrated encore. Lucifer’s Cage played with passion and turned up to eleven and a half by Mike produced a rapturous and well-deserved standing ovation.

It was appropriate that Gordon and Sir Mike received small gifts as a gesture of appreciation that they had both declined payment for their services. It was also most refreshing that Hilary’s behind the scenes support was acknowledged by the presentation of a lovely bouquet.

This concert demonstrated what can be achieved when care, effort and attention to detail is put into organizing an event. Not only was the music of the first order: but the venue was excellent: the refreshments delicious: and the cause worthy. Joan Inchley and her team ensured that no one left for home disappointed.

Mike Stranks

Re: Packington - 8 /6 /2013

Postby Mike Stranks » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:55 pm

I'm trying to persuade Wilf to join this forum so that he can speak for himself. He's not keen though so we'll have to see...
The older I get, the better I used to be

Wilf Upright

Postby Wilf Upright » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:51 pm

Upright’s thename; Wilf Upright.

Mike tells me that somebody called Keef Merryteeth (I think that’s what he said) has mentioned me in his ongoing chronicles of Mr Gulltrap’s doings. Mike said that it would probably be best if I gave my side of the story…

I come from Packington in Leicestershire. If you don’t know where that is it’s near a place called Ashby De La Swoosh. Never been there myself, but sounds quite posh. Anyway, there I was in Packington living a fairly cosy life under the stage in the Memorial Hall… I’d escaped there from a kid’s playgroup… well they said it was play, but you should have seen what they did to me… I never want to see the inside of a toddler’s mouth ever again. Anyway, where was I? Ah yes; under the stage in the Memorial Hall. It was a peaceful life, if a bit dark and subject to fluff – but hey you can’t have everything.

But everything changed one afternoon. As was often the case my nap was disturbed by people clomping about on the stage and obviously getting ready for something. But next thing I know there’s a bloke dressed all in black crawling about in MY space clutching bits of wire. (I now know that was Mike – but didn’t then.) Anyway I made myself as small as possible – which isn’t difficult when you’re only 6cm tall anyway – but he saw me and next thing I know I’ve been grabbed and brought out blinking into the daylight.

He plonked me on the front of the stage and left me there. Next thing I know this distinguished-looking hippy turns up – Mr Gulltrap – and asks Mike who I am. Mike tells him the tale about finding me and that my name is Wilf – that was a surprise – and that I’m the mastiff for “the show”. I noticed that Mr Gulltrap was carrying a guitar case so assumed he was going to play whatever was inside. But then he disappeared and came back with two more!... and two more!... and two more… and two more! I mean, how many guitars can one bloke play?

Anyway I stood there – didn’t have much choice really; I always stand – and Mike and Mr Gulltrap kept fiddling about with wires and introduced me to a whole new language – ‘course I’m fluent now, but it was the first time I’d heard them talking about DIs and EQs and low-mids and XLRs and phantom-power and… and… loads of other stuff. In fact, when they’re around me it seems that’s ALL they do talk about.

So I stood there for the concert; quite pleasant really, although it was a bit loud when Mr Gulltrap played something called ‘Lulubell’s Page’ – but then I’ve now learnt that it always is loud for that one. I really must have a word with Mike about that.

So when they were packing-up at Packington – see, that was a joke! – I was waiting to be put (thrown; such is the lot of someone like me) back under the stage when I find myself being put into a box with a load of wires. Kidnapped! That’s what I was; kidnapped!

Anyway since then I’ve been all over the place with Mike and he usually lets me sit at the front of the stage. I’ve heard all sorts of different bands and singers, but I do like it when we’re with Mr Gulltrap – except for ‘Lulubell’s Page’ of course. Not only is it always loud, but I sometimes get wet from little drops of what I can only assume is perspiration flying about – most unpleasant for me, but the punters love it.

I’ve noticed two things with Mr Gulltrap though. Don’t get me wrong; he’s very nice and always laughs when he sees me. You may have noticed the blue-bag over my shoulder. Well that’s my Fag Bag. Mr Gulltrap must know about that ‘cos he keeps mentioning it to audiences. They always laugh; I have no idea why. And the other thing is, nice man though he is, he seems to have had a disagreement sometime with someone called Feltham Tom. Seems like this Feltham Tom plays the piano and wrote a tune that some people liked better than one of Mr Gulltrap’s – I think it’s something to do with bodily-functions as it seems to be called ‘Fartsong’. But I’m not sure of the whole story… seems like this Feltham Tom and Mr Gulltrap each wrote a story too and Feltham’s was better – something about “I’ve A Novella”. All very strange….

But enough of my ramblings… except to say that we went back to Packington last Saturday. Such excitement! I wanted to go back home under the stage, but Mike said I couldn’t as we still had lots more adventures ahead of us. Oh! And the Chair of the Parish Council no-less <bows> told everyone that my surname is Upright… and that was news to me… Maybe I’ll tell you some more stories sometime…
Small, but beautifully formed

keithmeredith

Postby keithmeredith » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:34 pm

The only thing to say is welcome to the forum Wilf.

I look forward with anticipation to hear of your further adventures.

Keith

Wilf Upright

Postby Wilf Upright » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:41 pm

Thank you Keith; most kind.

I wonder if you go to any of Mr Gulltrap's concerts? If so, I might have seen you. That Keef Merryteeth seems to pop-up all over the place. He obviously enjoys it 'cos he always sits near the front and smiles nearly all the time. Sometimes he has a nice lady with him who Mike says Mr Gulltrap wrote a piece of music for.

Well, past my bedtime. I get tired having to stand up all the time with my camera and Fag Bag around my neck and this funny little bag around my middle. For some reason Mike won't tell me what it's called; he says it'll only lead to problems...

Ah well, night-night.

Wilf

Roger USA

Postby Roger USA » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:24 pm

Welcome Wilf!

Ethan is telling me that he saw you at the Gedling concert - could that be possible?

Roger

Wilf Upright

Postby Wilf Upright » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:41 pm

Hello Roger

Ah yes! I think I remember Ethan... young lad who Mike was talking to?

You can be fairly sure that if Mike is doing whatever he does to make Mr Gulltrap be heard - SOMETIMES A BIT TOO MUCH LIKE WITH LULUBELL'S PAGE!!! GRRRR! (Sorry about that; where was I?) Ah yes! Anyway if he's there so am I.

But I don't always stand on the stage - what with the perspiration drops and LULUBELL'S PAGE it's nice to be elsewhere sometimes. When we were in the church at Gedling I was stood on the pulpit looking down at the stage. So well-done Ethan for spotting me - or maybe Mike pointed me out.

I enjoyed the music he chose. I hope he is well and maybe I'll see him again someday - as he's a bit older I don't think he's likely to stick my head in his mouth which is what used to happen to me before I went into hiding in Packington.

Bye-bye.

Roger USA

Postby Roger USA » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:53 pm

Ethan spotted you in the pulpit and asked me to lift him up to see the "yellow". I held him up to take a look. I didn't see you myself and hadn't given it another thought until you appeared today. When I showed you to Ethan he said "yes I saw him at Gordon's church".

Now he knows your name he will introduce himself next time!

Return to “Gordon's Concerts”