4 Parts Guitar Eastbourne Concert Review

Posts on this board should be directly about Gordon's concerts. Comments, reviews or questions relating to Gordon's concerts are welcome here.

Moderator: GORDON

Roger

4 Parts Guitar Eastbourne Concert Review

Postby Roger » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:04 pm

For me this gig had been a long time coming as unfortunately I wasn't able to get to the Colston Hall show in Bristol which Em attended alone. I met up with her shortly after the performance so I know full well what I missed; I’ve been waiting patiently for the next 4 Parts Guitar performance...........

The Underground Theatre, home of The Eastbourne Arts Centre, is a compact 145-seater venue. We managed to get front row seats and after a quick chat with Hilary the lights went down and Gordon appeared. I seem to recall that he said he had 15 minutes before having to leave the stage so it was straight into the bright and uplifting “Shining Morn”, followed by the more reflective “Fiona’s Smile”, which is destined to become a classic Giltrap track if it already isn’t. Next came “Anji”, which had the guitar players in the audience purring. Some nice words too from Gordon about his friend the late Bert Jansch and Davey Graham. His last tune was “On Camber Sands” (not before a few bars of “Splinter” has been played!), a personal favourite of ours. For someone unacquainted with Gordon’s music this 15 minute spot was a very good taster!

Next on stage was the virtuoso Ray Burley, the only “classical” player to be a part of the evening. I’ve heard Ray playing on the “Double Visions” and “4 Parts” CDs, but this was the first time I’d seen him play live. He started with a piece composed by Bach and then played a barcarole (a Venetian gondoliers song which Em really enjoyed!). There was an effortless grace about Ray’s playing which never appeared hurried. His interpretation of Gordon’s “A Christmas Carol” followed and then Ray ended his solo spot with a Brazilian tune with a strong very latin feel - the highlight of his set for me. Again a very varied solo performance.

Ray handed over to John Etheridge, who was soon joking about his lack of time on stage and even at this point of the evening the banter and humour between the four guys was very evident. This was the first time I’d seen John play live, although Em had seen him a few years back with Stephan Grapelli. More musical contrast here, as John appeared on stage with an electric guitar. His solo set consisted of three songs, including a piece by Richard Thompson. All of these were well received by the audience, but the highlight of his set was his final offering “M'Sanduza“, which was the sort of track that you really didn’t want to end! However it had to and then appeared Clive Carroll...........

Clive went straight into a very haunting, almost eerie “atmospheric” piece called “Oregan”, followed by a tune inspired by his son and The Foo Fighters called “Shiny Wooden Toy”, which was superb and a fitting end to the solo parts of the evening. To my shame Clive Carroll was very much an unknown quantity to me before this gig, but his two pieces have instantly converted me to being a firm fan!

After the interval all four guitarists appeared on stage for the second part of the gig. The set list for this part of the performance was as follows:

Maddie Goes West - RB/GG/JE/CC
Swing 42 - JE/CC
Five Dollar Guitar - GG/JE
A Renaissance Suite - RB/CC
Places Between - RB/JE
The Tailor Bird - RB/GG
A Dublin Day - RB/GG/JE/CC
Encore - The Dodo’s Dream - RB/GG/JE/CC

It’s really difficult and perhaps a tad unfair to pick out a highlight of the second half, although “Swing 42” seemed to capture the essence of the evening with John and Clive grinning and laughing as they played. Indeed , it came across very strongly to the audience that these four excellent musicians not only enjoy each other's company, but admire and respect their mutual talents - certainly no egos here!

So to sum up this was really a night of great guitar playing and technique, but also great fun and we both went back to our hotel clutching our CDs with big smiles on our faces which lasted well into the night! My long wait to see 4 Parts perform was certainly worth it!!!

Bob Wilson

Re: 4 Parts Guitar Eastbourne Concert Review

Postby Bob Wilson » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:48 am

Very nice review Roger. It certainly whetted our appetite. We can't wait to see them all again hopefully at Swindon.
Hope to see you at another concert soon :D
Be well both
Bob (and Jane)
Lives touch and paths cross for a reason - be grateful for these meetings and grow as a person

Roger USA

Postby Roger USA » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:23 pm

An excellent review Roger! Sounds like a 4 Parts Guitar concert would be a great experience.

The only solo piece by Clive Carroll that I owned was Les Petites Clochettes from the 4 Parts Guitar CD. From the strength of your review I have just explored more of his music on iTunes and ended up buying several pieces from his Life in Color album.

Thanks!

Roger

keithmeredith

Postby keithmeredith » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:39 pm

WOW Roger, that is one superb review!!!

Now that I know what Four Parts are up to this tour I'm thinking that I don't really need to go to the gig in Worcester next Friday........or Oxford on Saturday. I'll just go to the motorcycle show at the NEC instead.

On the other hand.............................................................................................................accommodation booked, time off sorted, tickets acquired, going to do all three - and your review has almost got me salivating in anticipation. It's going to be an epic weekend.

All the best to you and Em.

Keith

Roger

Postby Roger » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:54 pm

Guys,

Thank you all for your very kind comments. I should point out that as with the Gordon/Oliver review Em had a big input, so I can't take all of the credit :) We generally do things together and work well together, which is how we first met :D We just felt that having had such a great time at the GG/OW and 4 Parts gigs that it would be good to write something that reflected what we had experienced. The 4 Parts gig couldn't have started better really as we bumped into Ray a couple of hours before and as always he was the perfect gentleman! Then before things started we spent a bit of time with Hilary :D

Bob - I think both you and Keith have set the standard for gig reviews on the forum, so thanks again. Be nice to meet up sometime soon - never know we might be in the Mini :D Best to you and Jane

Roger - It was a great experince and I can't imagine another situation where you would find four such great, but very different guitarists on stage at one time who work so well together. Over the last few years Gordon has introduced me to the music of Bert Jansch, Davey Graham, Tristan Seume, Oliver Wakeman and now Clive Carroll - I thought his playing was excellent and I'm so pleased that you like him too :D

Keith - like Bob you've set the standard for reviews here so thanks again. I'm sure that you'll have an epic weekend :D Pity that we didn't meet each other at Bristol last year and that you missed Em - never mind our time will come!
PS As a biker do you know anything about the Druid Spring Fork?

Best to you all guys,

Roger

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:45 am

I can add nothing to the praise already bestowed on you Rog.Indeed a fantastic review that I think will find its way into next months NEWS PAGE.

Great to see you both and THANKYOU for your kind words about Fiona's Smile,which I think is equal to Em's Tune in my list of personal favourites.

Good to see you both looking so well.

G.

Return to “Gordon's Concerts”