Gordon & Oliver - Ashcroft Arts Centre, Fareham

Posts on this board should be directly about Gordon's concerts. Comments, reviews or questions relating to Gordon's concerts are welcome here.

Moderator: GORDON

Roger

Gordon & Oliver - Ashcroft Arts Centre, Fareham

Postby Roger » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:42 pm

The Ashcroft Arts Centre in Fareham is a compact 150 seat theatre that we know quite well. It has very special memories for us as we’ve seen Gordon play there twice now, the first time when we were first getting to know him and Hilary and then again towards the end of 2006. Both brilliant evenings, especially the second gig when there were a few surprises in store, such as the appearance of the John Bailey double-neck for a stunning version of "Sallie's Song", and "Dodo's Dream" performed twice (the second time for an encore!). So we turned up at the Ashcroft expecting another great evening, only marred somewhat by the fact that our friends Bob and Jane (Wilson) couldn’t be there.

As we took our seats it seemed a little strange to see some keyboards on stage next to Gordon’s array of fine guitars, including his new Fret King electric. As the lights went down you could feel the anticipation welling in the sell-out audience and then Gordon and Oliver appeared. They started with “Maddie Goes West” and immediately the standard for the evening was set, with no signs of fatigue after their protracted journey from Kent. The set seemed to go from strength to strength and everything about the concert worked extremely well, Gordon and Oliver’s playing together, the solo pieces and of course the excellent banter and interaction with the audience. Also, no egos here, just great mutual respect between two great musicians which led to many moments of unforced musical magic during the evening.

Of Gordon’s pieces: “Fiona’s Smile” and "Isabella’s Wedding” worked really well with Oliver in support, but then we know Gordon’s music well and his solo pieces “On Camber Sands” and “Dodo’s Dream” were sublime. To our shame neither of us were familiar with Oliver’s playing and his music*, so the quality of “An Unknown King”, “Lutey and the Mermaid”, "Nature's Way" and “Heaven’s Isle” came as a very pleasant surprise. (*Needless to say we’ll be doing our utmost to rectify this situation!)

Even by Gordon’s high standards and our own expectations of gigs at the Ashcroft, this was something very special indeed and the surprises kept coming, including a superb rendition of “Wonderous Stories”, which was a fitting encore (never thought we’d hear a Yes song at a Gordon Giltrap gig!).

However the icing on the cake was a WONDERFUL version of “Roots” from Gordon’s classic “Fear of the Dark” album. Oliver had made one or two playful references to Gordon’s age, but we all could have been back in 1979 as the power and intensity of the piece cut through the air. Brilliant contribution from Oliver here too.

All in all this was an outstanding evening which will live in the memory for a long time to come. We just hope that this is a the start of a long-lasting partnership!
Last edited by Roger on Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

GORDON
Site Admin

Re: Gordon & Oliver - Ashcroft Arts Centre, Fareham

Postby GORDON » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:42 pm

Dear Roger and Em.

What a fabulous summing up of yesterday's concert.

For my part I enjoyed the whole evening and am starting to relax a tad more with the music.

Some friends who saw the Chatham show said that I appeared pensive...Too right I'm pensive! This is still new territory for me and hard sums musically speaking.

A Joy as ever to see you both and THANKYOU for coming.

Be well both.

G.

Bob Wilson

Postby Bob Wilson » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:07 pm

Hi Roger and Em
A great review (I told you that you'd really enjoy the variety :D ). Unfortunately, we were too late to get tickets seated together so decided to try and get to another concert (our Trowbridge concert was also a sell-out). It's great to see sell-outs as the work these two have put in deserves the acknowledgement. I'm sure this partnership will continue for some time as both seem so easy going and their compositions speak for themselves.
Hopefully we'll be quicker off the mark next time and we can meet up then.
See you soon
Be well both
Bob and Jane
Lives touch and paths cross for a reason - be grateful for these meetings and grow as a person

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:51 am

What a shame you couldn't make the concert both,it was indeed a good one,and we have come on quite a bit since the first show and the Trowbridge concert you attended.

Hope to see you both soon.

LTYB.

G&H

Return to “Gordon's Concerts”