Grantham - 12/10/2012

Posts on this board should be directly about Gordon's concerts. Comments, reviews or questions relating to Gordon's concerts are welcome here.

Moderator: GORDON

keithmeredith

Grantham - 12/10/2012

Postby keithmeredith » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:17 am

Grantham Arts Centre was originally mainly used as a magistrate’s sessions hall – complete with jail cells. It is now transformed into a two hundred odd seat theatre accessed by ascending a grand Victorian staircase. The jail now houses the café, although I understand that the kitchen is still referred to as ‘the back cell’.

I attended this concert in the Ravens and Lullabies tour accompanied by my beloved, Fiona - aka The Smiling One - and we both thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

As we were in a proper theatre with tiered seating it meant that we had a much improved view of Messrs Giltrap and Wakeman in action. The lighting was far better - with less emphasis on the red that transformed Oliver into a flaming redhead at HH - and the acoustics were marvellous.

The running order was, of course, similar to the inaugural gig of the series that I went to solo at Huntingdon Hall, Worcester - but this event was even better. Performances were more practiced as you would expect – a couple of weeks into the tour means both artists are well ‘in the groove’. The banter and jocularity between Gordon and Oliver was as funny as ever and so natural that it is impossible to tell if it be rehearsed or ad lib – and the whole event came across as tighter and even more polished.

So much effort and hard work have gone into presenting this series. This rare collaboration between two most respected and admired musicians deserves to be a success. – a wider audience needs to appreciate and support them. We’re going to see them again very soon – as a certain commercial says; “ because they’re worth it”.

GORDON
Site Admin

Re: Grantham - 12/10/2012

Postby GORDON » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:33 am

My sincere thanks to you both for attending this show Keith.Believe it or not the Wakeman was exhausted due to a severe lack of sleep due to illness with his son,but my God he rose to the occassion and did us all proud I'm sure you agree!

For me this was the best performance on the tour thus far!

Be well and THANKYOU for those glowing words.

G.

Roger USA

Postby Roger USA » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:32 pm

Hi Gordon,

Both my father (John) and brother (Graem) sent me e-mails yesterday with glowing reports of Friday night's concert, along with a couple of photos. They had a great time and I understand they even managed to speak to you briefly after the show.

Keith has covered the concert well and shares the same view of the concert, including the enjoyable banter between you and Oliver.

I loved the way my father's e-mail stated that you opened the show with Maddie Goes West and there followed a blend of the new tunes along with some of the "old familiar favourites". Old familiar favorites? Over time my family seem to have moved from "Gordon who?" to regular fans of your music, including attending two concerts in five months!

Ethan was a little disppointed when I told him on Friday afternoon that at that moment his Granddad and uncle were watching you play live......

Good luck with the rest of the tour and hopefully I may be able to catch one of next year's dates.

All the best.

Roger

Trevor Raggatt

Postby Trevor Raggatt » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:35 pm

The reports of the G&W Experience get more and more glowing. We're off to Farnham tomorrow night for the gig there (our first night out together in 6 months and - nearly - our wedding anniversary!!!). Simply can't wait to hear the new tunes live and the oldies with Wakeman Jr's keyboards sprinkled liberally over them.

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:49 pm

Brilliant see you then.

It has been ages.

Be Well Both.

G.

Return to “Gordon's Concerts”