Warmington - 6/7/2012

Posts on this board should be directly about Gordon's concerts. Comments, reviews or questions relating to Gordon's concerts are welcome here.

Moderator: GORDON

keithmeredith

Warmington - 6/7/2012

Postby keithmeredith » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:28 pm

The working week had been busy and stressful, made worse by awful weather, but as Fiona and I made our way to the village of Warmington nr. Peterborough, the sky turned blue, temperatures rose, and we were presented with a warm, pleasant summer evening. (Remember those?)

The church of St. Mary, the Virgin – our destination and the venue for our first Gordon Giltrap gig for ages – is an outstanding building. Inside the roof structure is particularly interesting. Constructed of timber in a simulation of a stone vaulted style, it features nine bosses carved with the face of the Green Man – a Pagan representation of the spirit of nature.

Organiser, Chris Peterson who - together with his other half, Arlene - had expended much effort in promoting this event, greeted us warmly. Posters advertising the concert were much in evidence in the surrounding area, and the local press carried a listing. An audience/ congregation of about 150 souls – who assembled to be entertained in the unique Giltrap manner, rewarded the effort.

Although they were appreciative, initially those present seemed a little reserved – but they soon warmed – as audiences always do - to the charm, wit and exceptional musicianship that personifies a Gordon Giltrap concert.

Good use was made of the GG Signature edition guitars (in both 6 and 12 string formats), delivering renditions of Maddy Goes West, Shining Morn, Dublin Day, and Angie, among others. Mrs. Singer is still Waltzing to the baby guitar and this scribe particularly welcomed the return of the Car Boot guitar.

I registered a slightly surreal incident during the first set finale – the Dodo’s Dream. As the Troubadour played, the low sunlight shone through the window of the church behind us and illuminated him. The effect from my seat was that Gordon appeared to have a halo. How many other musicians receive such approval from above?

Following the drawing of the raffle, a piece was dedicated to the vicar – whose birthday was the previous day. As Rev. Brian is a rock music fan, Gordon played that well known Led Zeppelin classic, Here Comes the Sun??????????

Gordon Giltrap’s friendship with the late Bert Jansch and his wife is well known - I cannot recall attending a gig where Bert’s influence was not spoken of. A new gentle and soothing composition – simply entitled “Loren”- is a sensitive and personal tribute to Bert’s late wife.

Among other pieces performed in this set were what could be described as the Giltrap water music – Ives Horizon (complete with widdly, diddly bits): On Camber Sands; and Down the River (touchingly dedicated to Hillary). The concert concluded with the tricky to play Tailorbird and the favorite of many: Heartsong.

The audience - forgetting their earlier shyness - showed their appreciation of a fine performance. As for me – I was happy, refreshed, uplifted and ready to take on the world of work again. Without doubt this was a perfect way to start a weekend.

Roger

Re: Warmington - 6/7/2012

Postby Roger » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:04 am

As always a fine review Keith - almost feels as if I was there myself :)

Best to you and Fiona,

Roger

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:19 pm

THANKYOU Keith.

Always good to have you and Fiona at my concerts.

It was indeed a lovely evening all round and our hosts Chris and Arlene were a delight.

Be Well Both.

G.

tonyhealy

Postby tonyhealy » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:11 pm

Gordon on top form !!
I must echo the post on here. It was a magical moment when the evening sun hit the maestro.
He must have friends in high places !!!
The hosts made a great evening better with the addition of their excellent interval food.
Many thanks.
On a more personal note I hadn't seen Gordon & Hillary for a while due ill health. The generosity of their
concern was really touching
I look forward to the next concert.
Gordon played at my 50th party I hope to have him play again at my 60th !!
Thanks again Tony

Return to “Gordon's Concerts”