St Nicholas Church Radford Semele - Gordon's Birthday Bash

Posts on this board should be directly about Gordon's concerts. Comments, reviews or questions relating to Gordon's concerts are welcome here.

Moderator: GORDON

Bruce

St Nicholas Church Radford Semele - Gordon's Birthday Bash

Postby Bruce » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:15 am

Quick post to say thank you to Gordon for a wonderful gig last night. What a great evening.

This was my first Gordon gig and it took my breath away, each an every track was inspiring, the chat between songs engaging and humerous.

Highlights for me were many but standouts, Dodo's Dream, Angie, A Dublin Day and of course Heartsong :D .

The surprise visit of Carrie Martin was fantastic and to hear a couple of her tracks was a delight, I'll be looking to buy some of her albums asap.

Overall an amazing night, great sound thanks to another surprise guest Mike Stranks and finally, Gordon's patriotic socks :shock: amazing, though I'm sure Gordon will never gig with them on again as he commented on how distracting they were :lol:

Thank you Sir, hope it was indeed a Happy Birthday.

keithmeredith

Re: St Nicholas Church Radford Semele - Gordon's Birthday Ba

Postby keithmeredith » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:41 pm

I was particularly looking forward to visiting the church of St.Nicholas at Radford Semele. By courtesy of the local arsonist, on Easter 2008 the church had been left essentially a roofless shell with tower attached – and scorch marks still plainly visible on the exterior bear witness to the conflagration.

The expenditure of much time, effort and no doubt copious amounts of lucre has resulted in a magnificently restored building - the modern elements of which blend with the old to produce a building equally suited to acts of worship, use by community groups, and concerts by accomplished musicians.

It had been an unprecedented four months since my last live dose of the Troubadour’s music: it was Gordon’s birthday, and a fine evening’s entertainment was promised.

We learned soon after our arrival that surprises were in store for Mr.G. Surprise number one was the presence of Sir Mike Stranks – once again coaxed out of semi retirement to twiddle the knobs on the sound desk and generally attend to acoustic duties.

Surprise two was the appearance – to Gordon’s delight – of Carrie Martin; who requisitioned the stage and performed a Cyndi Lauper cover and her self penned song “Luna”.

During this interlude, Gordon was also presented with his very own raffle prize - the almost legendary six free range eggs and a tea towel – these to go with his other birthday gift of a pair of strikingly distracting patriotic socks (that are apparently never to be worn again).

Our Troubadour quickly regained his composure and proceeded with his set list – which included: A Dublin Day, Appalachian Dreaming, Issabella’s Wedding, Dodo’s Dream and – with due acknowledgement to the influence of Messrs. Graham, Jansch and Renbourn – Angie.

Of special note was a first hearing – for me at least – of Gordon’s composition dedicated to his daughter, Sadie.

The evening was rounded off in traditional style with a generous helping of the ever-popular Heartsong followed by an extra portion of Lucifer’s Cage to see us on our way homeward bound.

“To send light into the darkness of men’s hearts – such is the duty of the artist” So said composer Robert Schumann. This continues to be an obligation well executed by Gordon Giltrap. Thank you,Troubadour, and hippo bathday.

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:03 pm

keithmeredith wrote:I was particularly looking forward to visiting the church of St.Nicholas at Radford Semele. By courtesy of the local arsonist, on Easter 2008 the church had been left essentially a roofless shell with tower attached – and scorch marks still plainly visible on the exterior bear witness to the conflagration.

The expenditure of much time, effort and no doubt copious amounts of lucre has resulted in a magnificently restored building - the modern elements of which blend with the old to produce a building equally suited to acts of worship, use by community groups, and concerts by accomplished musicians.

It had been an unprecedented four months since my last live dose of the Troubadour’s music: it was Gordon’s birthday, and a fine evening’s entertainment was promised.

We learned soon after our arrival that surprises were in store for Mr.G. Surprise number one was the presence of Sir Mike Stranks – once again coaxed out of semi retirement to twiddle the knobs on the sound desk and generally attend to acoustic duties.

Surprise two was the appearance – to Gordon’s delight – of Carrie Martin; who requisitioned the stage and performed a Cyndi Lauper cover and her self penned song “Luna”.

During this interlude, Gordon was also presented with his very own raffle prize - the almost legendary six free range eggs and a tea towel – these to go with his other birthday gift of a pair of strikingly distracting patriotic socks (that are apparently never to be worn again).

Our Troubadour quickly regained his composure and proceeded with his set list – which included: A Dublin Day, Appalachian Dreaming, Issabella’s Wedding, Dodo’s Dream and – with due acknowledgement to the influence of Messrs. Graham, Jansch and Renbourn – Angie.

Of special note was a first hearing – for me at least – of Gordon’s composition dedicated to his daughter, Sadie.

The evening was rounded off in traditional style with a generous helping of the ever-popular Heartsong followed by an extra portion of Lucifer’s Cage to see us on our way homeward bound.

“To send light into the darkness of men’s hearts – such is the duty of the artist” So said composer Robert Schumann. This continues to be an obligation well executed by Gordon Giltrap. Thank you,Troubadour, and hippo bathday.

Hello Keith.

Your lovely quote in the last paragraph blew me away.

Do I really bring light into the darkness of men's hearts?

Comments like that really do encourage me to keep going and ignore the onset of old age and all that it brings.

Bless you Keith you are a true friend.

Be well.

Love to you and the smiling one.

G.

Mike Stranks

Postby Mike Stranks » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:33 pm

Exhibit A:

The older I get, the better I used to be

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:06 am

Mike Stranks wrote:Exhibit A:

Can't THANKYOU enough for being there on my birthday buddy.

G.

Return to “Gordon's Concerts”